Caramelized onions and Brussels sprouts Pizza
Pizza is the best. Few dishes can come close to how perfect pizza can be. It can be fancy, it can be fine dining and it can be shovelled in your face after a night out. All the same premise, it’s tasty and comforting. I was gifted a pizza stone from my mother and it’s one of my most prized possessions. It really helps elevate my not so great home oven which lacks in the heat department. If you’re in the market for collecting kitchen tools I highly suggest one. If well taken care of they can last a lifetime and will really elevate your crusts. But I digress.
I’ve always been the outlier when it comes to pizza as I prefer the more unauthentic abominations of pizza, to which I prefer a white base and vegetarian pizza, even when I did eat meat. I’m always looking to think outside of the box when it comes to toppings and this pizza here does just that. It was so incredibly delicious I don’t even know where to begin. In terms of the pizza dough, I made some home made sourdough pizza dough. This is a bit involved so any white pizza dough works here.
For the Pizza Dough
King Arthur Baking is a go to website of mine when it comes to baking and their dough recipe is great and makes 4 pizza doughs. Pizza dough is also perfect for freezing so you’ll be able to get more pizza for your work! It’s super simple and all it takes is time. If you’d prefer to get pre-made dough that’s ok too! But again, I do suggest trying to get out of your comfort zone and you’d be surprised how much you can accomplish.
For this recipe you’ll need my roasted brussels sprouts and garlic confit. The last two elements I also suggest you consider is the sesame crust and of course my Hot Honey drizzle. I wasn’t lying when I said I put that on everything. It’s amazing and offers so much of a flavour boost.
Caramelized Onions and Brussels Sprouts Pizza
- Large Skillet or dutch oven
- Large sheet pan
- Pizza stone
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Dried Basil
- t tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Red Chilis
- 4 cloves Garlic Confit Cloves Linked Above
- 250 g Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe linked above
- 1 large White onion
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Goat Cheese
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tbsp Hot Honey
- Preheat oven to 425F for the brussels sprouts, once sprouts are done set the oven to 450F. Preheat pizza stone in oven as your cooking brussels sprouts on different basic sheet pan.
- Make Brussels Sprouts as linked above, while doing this begin your onions
- Slice onion thinly and place in medium hot pan with butter, olive oil with salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium low for approximately 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Mix sauce base in small bowl and set aside
- Prepare finished dough buy stretching out to same size of stone or pan you're using on a floured surface. I use a 15" x 17" rectangle stone.
- Remove very hot pizza stone and place on dish towel on the counter and very carefully lift your dough onto the stone, be careful not to burn yourself. You will hear sizzling but that's ok. Once dough is on the stone, puncture centre of dough leaving the crust area (about 1.5") with fork all over to prevent centre from rising.
- Dress your pizza. With a spoon, drizzle sauce base all over the centre of the dough leaving some to brush the crust with. Add your brussels sprouts, onions and goat cheese evenly on top. Brush the crust with remaining oil and liberally top the crust with sesame seeds.
- Carefully place your pizza back in the oven, and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and liberally drizzle with hot honey. Cut and share 🙂