Cream of Mushroom Pasta
Sometimes you just need a warm hug in the form of a feel good dinner and I think this dish fills that void. It’s delicious, full of flavour and comes together extremely quickly, so even those who are weary and tired but yearning for something more than KD can make this. That being said you can pry KD from my cold dead hands because it definitely has it’s place in my pantry forever. Not up for discussion.
The beauty of this dish is I typically have most of these ingredients on hand. It’s also easy enough to swap some things here and there in which I will absolutely let you know where, but also like I always say, have fun with it! I’m always in the mind that recipes are borrowed information as this will never belong to me, could have been done before but it’s sharing that’s the fun part anyways.
Cream of Mushroom Pasta
- Large heavy bottomed pot
- Large Skillet or dutch oven
- 1.5 cups Dried mixed mushrooms you can absolutely use fresh, one whole package at your local grocery store will suffice
- 300 g Rigatoni Pasta Use any short noodle (my fav for the perfect bite)
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme if using dried 2 teaspoons will be fine
- 3 tbsp Garlic Confit and oil this is something I usually have on hand, but if using fresh garlic 2-3 cloves will be great
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter Salted is fine just adjust salt to taste
- 1 cup 5% cream you can 10% I wouldn't suggest milk. sorry it's a full flavour dish.
- 2 tbsp Herb and Garlic Goat Cheese this is optional, but very very delicious
- 1 cup Fresh Grated Parmesan use half in the sauce and reserve some for garnish
- Salt and fresh Black Pepper to taste
- If using dried mushrooms, place dried mushrooms in bowl of lukewarm water for 20-30 minutes until rehydrated.
- Once mushrooms have rehydrated, drain water and keep it aside
- Add water to pot and set on high to begin boiling, add extra mushroom water that was set aside into pasta water pot
- Rough chop mushrooms and place in pan with garlic confit and oil (or fresh garlic and mushrooms if using) and butter
- Sauté mushrooms and garlic on medium heat until fragrant and starting to get a caramelized colour. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Once mushrooms and garlic are browned, add half the cream, stirring to incorporate
- While sauce is cooking add pasta to water and cook to al dente, check package for time
- Once cream incorporated add remaining cream and three sprigs of time, place sprigs in whole, you will be removing later. Season with salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Add half of parmesan cheese
- Turn heat to medium low for sauce to thicken continue stirring occasionally
- Before pasta is finished reserve extra pasta water
- Add Pasta to sauce, adjust heat to Medium high, add small amounts of pasta water to loosen and create a silky sauce, remove sprigs of thyme
- Serve hot and garnish with remaining fresh parmesan
- If using fresh mushrooms make sure the majority of the water is cooked out
- Feel free to cook the fresh garlic and fresh mushroom together to mellow out the garlic flavour
- The cream amount can be done to taste, if you like more sauce use all the cream, for less sauce less cream
- For my lactose people, you can omit the cream, butter and cheese and use the garlic confit oil or olive oil in it’s place. About .5 cups of olive oil should suffice.