What’s in a salad? It could be anything really! I think it’s a choose you’re own adventure type of dish and this is not different. I have an affinity towards warm salads and I’m not sure why. Perhaps they tend to be a bit more …
When I became vegetarian the thing I missed most was fish. It was easily something I had often and still to this day miss it dearly. One of the best things I would always have in my pantry was canned tuna. It was so versatile and went with everything I could ever imagine. That being said no longer having this as an option really made me experiment and try my best to have those old classics, but reimagined.
A friend of mine told me she had this chickpea tuna salad and the cogs in my brain started turning. She also suggested using greek yogurt vs. a mayo and I was hooked. This turned out so amazingly delicious I honestly couldn’t believe it. So full of flavour and texture, it was amazing. This is the perfect thing for lunches for the week as the chickpeas will hold for a long time without sacrificing any flavour or even bringing it to a park, without that fishy smell or concern of spoilage.
The best part of this recipe is all of it! I hope you enjoy!
Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Salad Sandwich
- Small-Medium Bowl
- 1 cup Canned Chickpeas drained
- 3/4 cup 2% Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Dried Dill
- 1 Celery stock diced
- 1 Shallot diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 6 Boston Leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 Slices of bread I loved using sourdough here
- 2 tbsp Mayo
- 2 tbsp Sriracha Depends on your spice level, I like it hot
- Open and drain chickpeas, add 1 cup to bowl
- Dice celery and shallot, place in bowl with chickpeas
- Add yogurt, dill, salt and pepper, mix all together lightly mashing with a fork
- Spread Mayo and sriracha on both sides of bread, add lettuce and thinly sliced roma tomato
- Use half of chickpea salad for each sandwich, slice and serve!
Growing up BLT’s were my favourite sandwich of all time. It was perfect. The crisp lettuce, a sweet tomato mixed with some salty delicious bacon. Also the slathering of mayo for me made the perfect sandwich. Until now. It’s no secret I’ve taken some time off eating meat just for a little break and I found myself craving the old classics. That’s where this dish came in.
I love love love tofu and it’s a great alternate to meat. I was craving a BLT one day and wanted to fill that void so here came the TLT! It’s super simple for breakfast lunch or dinner and doesn’t take too much time to make! I made this as a wrap so I can crisp up the tortilla and I often have wraps lying around my kitchen anyways so it was a no brainer. You’ll need my Ultra Crispy Tofu Recipe for this so feel free to get that started and the rest is just assembly!
TLT – Tofu Lettuce Tomato
- Frying Pan
- Cooling Rack
- Ultra Crispy Tofu Recipe
- 4 Flour Tortillas
- 2 Ripe Tomatos Roma, Heirloom or vine works great here
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce
- 4 tbsp Kewpie Mayo
- 4 tbsp Sriracha
- Use my Ultra Crispy Tofu Recipe to cook the Tofu, Linked above 🙂
- Lay out all tortillas and start laying the toppings, I like to go in this order; kewpie mayo, Sriracha, lettuce and tomato. Be mindful not to overfill, you want to be able to wrap these up like an envelop.
- Add 2 pieces of tofu to each wrap. To wrap, pull in both outsides to the centre. Take top piece closest to you and pull over entire wrap, tucking it into the wrap and roll similar to a burrito.
- Get frying pan up to medium heat
- Place wraps folded side down to help seal the wrap. I also like to use a cast iron pan or heavy pan to apply pressure on top similar to a panini press. After 4 minutes flip and do the other side.
- Cut on a bias and serve with your favourite side, fries or a salad works great here!