I love noodles and ramen more than anything these days. If I could eat it everyday without it seriously effecting my health and waistline I absolutely would. But these days it’s all about balance. Luckily I still love veggies just as much and this is …
Whenever I’m making a dish involving rice no matter what I always make extra. It’s the perfect excuse to have this dish and leftover rice is also the perfect quick dinner solution. My fried rice has changed a lot over the years and with cues from some of my favourite creators like Lisa Lin and Nagi I was able to improve some techniques and flavours to make this a tasty easy dish.
I always have a full produce section in my freezer. As someone who eats primarily vegetarian food it’s the best case scenario for quick easy dinners and ensures I can always have some veggies on hand. Literally every veggie in this dish is frozen down to the ginger. That’s right! This is a trick I learned from my mother and it’s been the best hack yet so I can always have fresh ginger whenever I want because there’s something about the jar’s I don’t love too much. That being said don’t get me wrong as I do use them from time to time! A sleeper hit for a lot of my dishes is home made Scallion Oil which you can make with my favourite noodles.
Eggs are the last element in this dish which really packs the protein and it’s also something I always have on hand. Eggs are amazing for so many reasons, they can be sauce, mayo, hollandaise, breakfast and even the ‘meat’ in your dish no problem. I used to cook the eggs in the rice, but I’ve found, if you cook them first and fold them in upon completion of the rice and veggies it’s much better and less emulsified in the rice and can really stand out.
Weeknight Freezer Fried Rice
- Non Stick Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Bowls for mixing
- 3 cups Leftover Rice If making fresh rice try to let it fully cool down before using to get some starches activated
- 3/4 cup Frozen Peas
- 3/4 cup Frozen Carrot
- 1 cup Frozen Onion You can use fresh onion if you have on hand
- 3/4 cup Frozen Corn
- 4 Large Eggs
- 3 Stalks Green onion for Garish and the scallions for cooking
- 1 tbsp Finely chopped ginger
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1.5 tsp Fish Sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Scallion Oil
- 1 tbsp Maggie Sauce
- 1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sambal *** I like mine pretty spicy so feel free to use less based on heat and taste preference ***
- Whisk eggs in bowl and add 1 tbsp of scallion oil to medium hot pan. Once pan is hot add eggs and cook for approximately 2-3 mins until just done cooking, transfer to bowl and set aside.
- In separate bowl add sesame oil, sugar, both soys, fish sauce, maggie sauce, chopped ginger and sambal, whisk together.
- Add remaining scallion oil to same pan as eggs were in and heat to medium high.
- Once pan is hot add veggies and cook until onions are translucent about 6-7 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to combine. Press ingredients to bottom of the pan with back of wooden spoon and avoid stirring for about a minute or two to brown the rice, then stir a second time and avoid stirring again for another 2 minutes.
- Once rice is browned, turn off the heat and fold in the cooked eggs you put aside.
- Transfer to bowl and top with green onions, serve immediately.