Ultra Crispy Tofu
Whoever said tofu isn’t good, or delicious simply didn’t make it right. It is a sleeper hit in a lot of dishes and can have a crazy amount of diversity in the way it’s prepared. My personal favourite is ‘crispy style’ for obvious reasons and it’s honestly not that difficult to make. You don’t need to deep fry these guys as a shallow fry will absolutely do the trick and is less mess. Trust me when I say it’s worth it. And with this crispy tofu you can do so many things! I like to put it with some rice and veggies, or simply on it’s own with a sweet thai dipping sauce.
Ultra Crispy Tofu
- 12-14" Shallow Large heavy bottomed pot or frying pan
- Cooling Rack
- 1 package Firm Tofu I prefer to use firm or medium firm when frying to keep the shape and texture, avoid using silken or soft for this dish
- 3/4 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp White Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne This gives the dish an extra kick, you can use more or less depending on your flavour preference
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt Use to season after cooking
- 2 cups Neutral Oil Grapeseed, Canola Oil, Veggie Oil all work here
- 3 tbsp Thai Sweet Chili Sauce for Dipping I use a lot so choose your own adventure
- Take tofu out of package and drain the water, pat dry trying to remove as much moisture as possible
- Place pan on element, put oil in the pan and heat up to medium high
- Cut tofu into rectangle shapes. Similar to a domino. About 1" thick all around so it's easier to flip over and still submerged in the oil
- Add all flours and seasonings (except salt) to large metal bowl. Stir ingredients with whisk to incorporate.
- Add cut tofu to flour mix, making sure every piece is coated
- Make sure the oil is hot enough with a tiny but of the flour mix, if it bubbles it's ready but make sure it's not too hot.
- Carefully place tofu wide side down around the pan, try to avoid over crowding, cook for 5 minutes then flip to uncooked side, feel free to cook edges as well if they aren't submerged
- When tofu is finished transfer to wire rack to cool
- Sprinkle the cooked tofu with salt to your liking
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce, or rice and veggies and enjoy!